Sunday, December 31, 2006

Projects to be Finished

The Fairie Goddess Mothers have created a challenge for 2007: Finish your UFOs. First you have to name them and then, when each project is complete, send the coordinating FGM a picture. Participants get a ticket for each named UFO finished or converted to something else. The tickets go into a drawing at the end of the year. As an incentive (for me) to get these pieces finished, I hung most of them on my design wall. It seems "out of sight, out of mind" is very true for me. If I look at them every day - I will get them finished and off the wall. If they're in a drawer, I forget about them. I have kept them all in the same place, so this wasn't hard to put together.

So from Left to right: top row - there's a table runner, a twisty log cabin block, Holiday Hexagons, a machine applique rose, another rose and Hummingbird and another log cabin block. Second row is another table runner, an applique inspired by freinds who are ballroom dancers, Twisted Tulips, a bag of fusible still life objects, stars on point left over from the trees quilt and a strange medallion thing that needs some blue. More than half of these started in classes, but a few are my own design.
This isn't so much a UFO as it is a work in progress -- It's hand applique and I've been working on it for about 5 months. It's my evening and traveling work. The design is inspired by the pressed metal tops on two tables we have.
Sorry for the sideways - this is a machine applique of Quilt Poetry's floral meditation. It's sandwiched and ready to be quilted.
OK - this one is the oldest UFO. It's a reproduction of an antique quilt that is in the Minnesota Quilter's book. I used QuiltSmart's Lone Star pattern to create the spokes. It's been sitting for at least two years, needs some fixing and quilting. It is about king size and will be quilted by a long armer -- I'd just as soon not struggle quilting huge quilts.

After examining the state of my in-progress projects I feel I'm in pretty good shape. I really want to finish these before starting anything new. But garment sewing, purses, crochet and knitting somehow get infront of these projects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Digifigi- The appliqued piece based on the table top is awesome!